The Taste Canada awards will be held on Monday, November 14 at the Arcadian Court in Toronto. Taste Canada is a celebration of the best food writing in Canada, in both English and French.
As we scanned the list of shortlisted nominees, we were reminded of the excellent writers in Canada who focus their attention on food. In the general cookbooks (English) category alone, the judges face the unenviable task of picking just one of these cookbooks to win:
- Homegrown: a celebration of Canadian food from coast to coast. The Caramelized Onion and Cheddar Scones would be the foundation for a perfect breakfast, don’t you think?
- Brown Eggs and Jam Jars: comfort food at its finest. We’d love to try the Chicken Leek Shepherd’s Pie.
- Canadian Living – The Ultimate Cookbook: these recipes have been chosen from the best of the Canadian Living Test Kitchen. Mediterranean kale salad, anyone?
- Goodness: features the stories of 37 chefs, entrepreneurs, growers and food activists from across Canada, and their favourite recipes. How could anyone resist the Ginger Stout Cake with Orange Meringue & Coffee Caramel?
- Seven Spoons – beautiful writing and great photography make this one a keeper. We’ve made the Roasted Fruit with Sweet Labneh and we’re still dreaming about it.
And that’s only one of the twelve categories of cookbook/food writers and bloggers.
We enjoy some of the best cooking in the world in Canada. The talented food writers in every category of the awards reflect our past and inspire us to try new flavours and techniques. Join us on Monday night at the Taste Canada Awards, and help us celebrate all the winners and nominees at this prestigious event.